Sunday, September 03, 2006

Outside Screaming

Thankfully, the whole inside/outside voice method of dealing with Bree's incessant shrieking seems to be working. Now, she'll start to scream and then remind herself "screaming outside" and wait until she goes out there to start up. Seeing as how our balcony is not that big and right next to the living room it still drives me crazy. But, since this is working I manage to smile and say, "Yes that's good. That's right," in response to her telling me "Mom, I'm screaming outside! EEEEEEEE!" The other night though she managed to find a loophole in the screaming outside rule. As she sat at the dinner table waiting for her plate she made the tiniest scream. "Mom, I squeaked!" she told me. "Ok, that's nice," I said. After that she kept doing the "squeaking" (which was actually more like very brief screaming) and then laughing hysterically. Like this: squeak, insane laughter, squeak, insane laughter, squeak, insane laughter, squeak...you get the point. "Mom, I'm laughing about squeaking," she stopped to tell me, and then started back up again. The funny part was that when she was "laughing about screaming" you could tell it was her "fake" courtesy laugh. But, for some reason it struck me as funny and we both started genuinely laughing after every stupid tiny shriek. It's been the only moment of this whole screaming obsession phase that I've found anything about it remotely amusing...I claim temporary insanity on that one. :)

No comments: