Monday, September 25, 2006

Mommy, You Tell Him!

We had a bit of trouble getting Bree to go to bed tonight. She's been fighting it a little recently. We'll go through the usual bedtime routine but then lately it will only be a few minutes later and she'll be calling out, wanting an extra toy or book or stuffed animal in her bed. (It's gotten so bad I'm not sure how she has room to sleep in there.) Along with asking for more things to get piled into her bed her new trick is to tell us she "needs to go pee" after she's been tucked in. While we know she doesn't really need to go potty, and is merely stalling for time, well, she's kind of got us there. We don't want to discourage her from using her potty...

Tonight it was the same deal. After tucking several requested stuffed animals and toys into her bed, sure enough she claimed to need to pee. So, I helped her out of bed and into the bathroom where she happily sat down on her potty and began casually perusing "The Jungle Book." After a few minutes I cajoled her into getting off her potty chair, convincing her she was all done for now and could try again later. I laid her down and started to put a fresh diaper on her when I realized that I needed some diaper cream since Bree has a bit of diaper rash right now. For some reason though, she's been fighting getting the cream put on her little buns the past few days. Not wanting her to fuss I called out, "Trav! I need some c-r-e-a-m brought in here please!" A minute later Travis popped through the door with wipes in his hand. "No. C-r-e-a-m, what does it spell?" I asked him. "Oh right." he said, coming back with cream in his hand. I rolled my eyes. "So, did we go pee?" he asked, cluelessly. "Shh" I hissed, kind of annoyed, "Why are you asking right now? She doesn't really need to go and it just took me 5 minutes to convince her to get off the potty. I don't need you reminding her about it. So, why don't you sh..." I caught myself. Yes, I had almost said shut up but didn't want Brianna to think that's okay to say to her Daddy. (All right, I get kinda crabby in the evening!) Silly me, I should have known that she'd already guessed where I was going. From her spot laying on the floor Brianna finished for me and said in a peevish tone, "Daddy, would you just shut up! Mommy, you tell him!" It took us both so by surprise that we just ended up laughing hysterically and Bree did her courtesy laugh, sure that she'd just said something extremely clever!

No comments: