Friday, September 15, 2006

The Magical Power of Band-Aids

Even though I've seen certain parenting techniques in action before, like the airplane flying into your mouth with food trick, I've still been kind of amazed that they actually work. One of those such things has been kissing a boo-boo better. I guess it's more of a psychological fix than a physical one but I find it cool that many times I have the power to stop the tears with one little kiss to make it better. Sometimes Brianna will even request I kiss her if she's sad, or thinks I might be upset with her and not even physically hurt at all.

Of course, besides a kiss from Mommy Brianna also counts on that other toddler psychological healer, the band-aid. Naturally, she insists she needs one with every bump, bang or bruise she gets. Of course, we don't give her one every time or else we'd go through a box a day. (We don't want her to have a "pack a day" habit do we now?) So, if she's asking for a band-aid we'll say "Are you bleeding?" Then sometimes she says yes even though she's clearly not bleeding anywhere. That's just how sure she (and most toddlers) are that a band-aid is the answer to every ouchie in question. Brianna even asked for one the other day when she was just plain old upset. She'd been crying for some time, (I think 'cause I told her no to something), so she requested a kiss from me. Well, apparently that didn't work and she said, "Mommy, I'm sad..I need a band-aid!"

No comments: