Monday, July 10, 2006

A Parky Personality

Brianna and I went to the park this afternoon. As soon as we arrived, Bree spotted a bird in one of the lower branches of a near bye tree. “Bird, come down here!” she commanded. She’s kind of into the bossy thing lately, along with being in the possessive “mine!” phase. While we were at the park, there was only one other little kid there, a boy younger than Bree. You’d think that with only 2 kids playing, Brianna would feel like there was plenty of room. But, alas, no, she didn’t. The little boy was toddling around happily but Bree decided he was headed for her favorite toy, a little car on one of those rocky springs. So, she made a whiny-whimpering noise and ran towards it saying “Mine, mine!” “It’s okay,” I told her “It’s the park and you need to share. Besides, that little boy doesn’t even want to ride that. He’s too little.” She spent a few minutes riding on the car and then was hopping off to play in another part of the park. But, before she walked away from the car she looked around and said loudly, “Those are mines kid, all right?”

This was all pretty amusing but the funniest part was when she fell down. ("What?!" you’re saying, "That’s just wrong!" Well, before you dial Child Protection, keep reading…it is funny!) As she was running through the sand she tripped and landed on her knees, getting a little sand on them. “Uh-oh, do you want me to kiss your knee?” I asked her. “No,” she said “I’ll do it.” So, she sat down, leaned over and kissed one of her knees. Since there was sand on it though, she got a few grains in her mouth and made a horrible yucky face. It struck me as funny, so I couldn’t help it, I laughed. Then Brianna said “Is that funny? Oh so funny, baby eat sand!” I was afraid after she said that she’d try to eat more sand but instead she followed up by spitting into the sand. (A charming trait you can thank her daddy for teaching her.)

Just to wrap up the outing as we were getting into the car Brianna grabbed my keys, climbed into the driver’s seat, picked out the correct key and actually inserted it into the ignition. “There you go Mommy,” she told me, “It goes right there.” Great! What else has she observed me doing and made a mental note of?? At least she hasn’t figured out how to turn the key yet….It’s enough to make a mom paranoid.

No comments: