Monday, January 29, 2007

Glorious Cheese

This is a story that happened while my mom was here and I meant to share then but it just slipped my mind (as many things do these days). But, I was reminded of it today when giving Bree her afternoon snack...

For the past couple months Brianna has insisted she doesn't like cheese. Any time I'd try to give some to her she'd even say, "I don't like cheese!" Leave it to Grammy though to be the only one to get Bree to actually eat, and like, cheese. Here's what did the trick - Grammy Dee-Dee sang a cheese song like this "Cheese, glorious cheese! We're anxious to try it! Cheese, glorious cheese! There's nothin' like it!" This, sung several times over with much theatrical flair was enough to make Bree wander over and say, "Can I have some glorious cheese?" (Actually from that moment on she's never called cheese plain old cheese. It is now officially called "Glorious Cheese" at my house.) Leaving me standing nearbye with my mouth gaping open, amazed. I was even more amazed when Bree proceeded to eat a whole slice of cheese and happily ask for more. Over the rest of Grammy's visit Bree had some glorious cheese just about every day. She even helped Grammy pick out some "strange" (string) cheese at the store, another form of cheese she'd rejected when I tried to give it to her. I think Grammy's trick was to just act like it was SO good and that she was excited to eat it. Like, in the car going home from the store when she said to Bree, "Mmmm. That looks good. Can I have a bite of your cheese?" And Bree laughed hysterically telling her, "Strange (string) cheese is just for kids Grammy!" Then proceeded to eat the whole thing herself. Well, I guess that's one of the things grammies are good for. I mean, it's not like I haven't tried the old reverse psychology trick myself before but I've just never really taken it that far...to the broadway performance level. But, if it works.....(flash to me in about a week dancing across my kitchen and singing "Peas! Glorious Peas!")

No comments: