Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Smooth Operator

It's become apparent to me lately that Bree has inherited both her fathers oh-so-smooth, extremely uncorny charm and my own finely honed since of style and grace. (Did you catch the sarcasm in there?) And, I have examples to prove it even.

Take today... Brianna and I were getting ready to head out for library time. I hurriedly put her into her coat and turned around to gather up the diaper bag and library books. As I was doing this I could see Bree out of the corner of my eye, standing in front of the mirror. She was staring into her own eyes saying "Zacktly!" (Exactly), wiggling her eyebrows up and down and then trying to wink at herself. She didn't just do this once either, she kept on doing it until I said it was time to go. I have NO idea where she got that but it struck me as her effort to be cool and casual, but falling short. Sort of like the toddler equivalent of the good old Joey, from friends, line, "How you doin'?" Oh yeah...suave.

After I got her to stop schmoozing herself in the mirror we headed down and I got her loaded into the car. Once she was strapped into her carseat she insisted she wanted a stocking cap (one of mine) and one mitten (hers) that she'd spied laying in the backseat. (My car's kind of a mess with a variety of stuff thrown or left in there.) Bree quickly donned the cap and started playing with the one lonely mitten. She rode along happily for a few minutes but then started making a little whiny noise and said, "My mitten!" I looked into my rearview and quickly determined the problem. She was craning her head all over, desperately looking for her mitten but I could see it. There it was, stuck to the top of her head. See, the mitten is one of those that has a velcro slit up the back so it's easier to get your kid's hand inside it. And, yup, the velcro had stuck to the fuzzy stocking cap she was wearing. "Your mitten is on your head!" I told her. "Oh!" she said and grabbed it off. Now, at this point you're probably chuckling and thinking to yourself, "How cute, only a 2 yr. old!" But, the sad thing is that this is totally something I would end up doing now, today, at my current age. Most days I'm like a walking Mr. Magoo. I mean, I wouldn't end up getting the mitten stuck to my head if I'd been handed them separately. More likely that I'd grab a hat out of our stockpile with the mitten already stuck to it, not notice it was there, and go around wearing a mitten on my head all day since everyone would be too embarassed to mention it.

Yup, Brianna..she's got a little of both of her parents in there. Poor kid. :)

1 comment:

Let's Talk About Our Day said...

I would totally tell you if you had a mitten stuck to your hat!! Mostly just so I could point and laugh!!!
Love you!
Dawn