Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Little Swimmer

Even though we have an indoor pool available to us year-round here at our apartment complex, our swimming habits sort of go in spurts. We'll go fairly often for a few weeks and then nothing for quite a while. This is because, for one thing, it's hard to find a time when 20 other people didn't decide that swimming sounded fun just then. And, the other thing is that once Bree gets down there all she'll do is jump off the edge. Over and over and over again. Forget swimming..what she likes is the jumping. She'll do it until my arms are aching and she's crying when we have to leave. So, the whole event is way more fun for Brianna than the adult who accompanies her.

Well, anyways, so it's been awhile since we've gone swimming. But, last night Bree happened to spy one of her bathing suits hanging off the back handle of her door. Sure enough, she was soon asking to go swimming and was so insistent that we ended up taking her for a brief swim. She had a lot of fun. So much so that this morning when I walked into her room to get her out of bed she said, "I have an idea! Let's go swimming!" Oddly, I didn't feel like swimming first thing in the morning so I put her off. I managed to distract her all morning but, as I laid her down for her nap there it was again. "Mom, let's go swimming." "Maybe later today," I told her, "Now go to sleep." A few hours, and no nap later due to swimming anticipation, I found myself again confronted with a demand to visit the pool. Finally, I gave in and we both got in our suits and started down the hall.

I guess I was feeling less than enthusiastic about going but I was immediately more excited when, as we headed down the hallway Bree burst into a spontanteous song at the top of her lungs, "If you're happy and you know it say hooray, HOORAY!" Then she added in her own little twist, "If you're happy and you know it then MARCH," (followed by marching down the hall), "If you're happy and you know it say hooray, HOORAY!" She sang it all the way to the pool and it reminded me that it doesn't take much to make her day.

No comments: