Friday, August 18, 2006

Say What?

Well, despite the fact that Bree now has quite the vocabulary and actually manages to speak quite clearly most the time we still have our misunderstandings and miscommunications:

Hannah and I enrolled Kadyn and Bree in storytime at the library together. We've gotten into the habit each week of heading across the street to the mall afterwards to buy the girls a pretzel and fruit smoothie from Jamba Juice. This week was the same and we talked and let the girls eat and play. (The great part is that neither one can finish their fruit smoothie and Hannah and I end up getting to finish them off.) Well, as I was leaving this time I set what little was left of our drink on top of the car and started loading Brianna into her car seat. The whole time I was strapping her in she kept saying "Mom, where my food movie? Mom, where my food movie?" I just couldn't make out what she was saying and I just kept staring at her. I could tell she was getting frustrated until finally it dawned on me and I knew what she was asking for...her fruit smoothie!

As Bree and I were getting ready to have snacks the other afternoon she said, "Mom, I need my oh-ah bah." Hmm, oh-ah bah I thought..that makes no sense to me. What could it be? Not knowing what else to say Brianna just kept repeating it until finally she added, "Mom, my oh-ah-bah. In the diaper bag!" Then I realized there was only one thing that could be an "oh-ah bah" in the diaper bag...it was her granola bar!


Of course then there are times where I can clearly understand what Brianna has said...I just can't believe it:

The other day as I was unbuckling Bree to get her out of the car I leaned in and kissed her cheek. "No, no kissing me!" she said. "Why not?" I asked "You're cute and I like you!" "No," she said. "No what?" I teased her, "No, you're not cute?!"
"And you don't like me!" she said. Well after I felt shocked a few moments I said "Of course I do silly!" and then kissed her cheek again for good measure.

We had our friends Kelly and Skylar over for a playdate today. While they were over Bree suddenly announced that she needed a new diaper. So, I laid her down and started changing her diaper. Suddenly she started whimpering and said, "Mom, I'm crabby!" Later, after our friends had left and naptime was quickly approaching Brianna started rubbing her eyes and said again "I'm so crabby!" "Well, it's naptime," I told her, "Let's go in your room." She obediently headed in there but was quickly distracted by some of her toys. I let her play a few minutes and then told her "All right, it's time to rest. Come here." "I can't right now," she replied, "I'm busy!" Cheeky little kid....

No comments: