Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Caffeine Addict Wannabe

I drink a lot of coffee because I feel, as the mother of a toddler, it's my only defense. Especially in the mornings, it takes me a long time to wake up and I'm pretty comatose until my first cup kicks in. So unsurprisingly, when she was younger Bree started calling every beverage coffee. She knows better now. Now she knows that Mom also drinks pop and she's even started being able to identify the different brand names of soda we drink--as opposed to when she was younger and called all pop "Cope" (Coke). (All right, I know what you're thinking but I don't drink or smoke so caffeine is my drug of choice. Gimme a break will ya?!) Bree is fascinated with these particular beverages because she isn't allowed to have any. No coffee, (of course), and no soda pop for this little girl, at least not yet. (I really don't want to get her started on caffeine this young, or with all the sugar in there either. And, I've known too many people who give their kids pop and then that's all the kids will drink.) But, because Mom and Dad drink these forbidden drinks they're naturally quite intriquing to Brianna. She is especially interested in my whole coffee ritual. She actually likes to watch me add my creamer and my sugar and stir it all together. (I add a lot of suger!) This morning she was at it again, watching as I made my extra sweet concoction. "Mommy, is that your coffee?" she asked. "Yep, it is." I said, adding a scoop of sugar. "Mommy, is that sugar?" she asked. "Yes, it's sugar all right." I told her. She watched another second and then said "I LOVE sugar! I love Coke, I love Docka Peppa!(Doctor Pepper)" This despite her never having tasted them...I can't imagine her enthusiasm on the subject once she actually gets to drink some.

No comments: