Thursday, August 24, 2006

Daddy, Travis

So, I'm not the kind of wife who calls her husband "Daddy" after a kid or two comes along. I may call him that sometimes when I'm referring to him in front of Brianna or when I'm talking to him from Bree's point of view. But, I certainly don't do it every time because, well, he's not MY daddy and he does have an actual name. And, being the observant child she is Bree has picked up on this little tidbit of useful information. Of late she is just as likely to refer to her father as Travis as she is Daddy. Call me naive but I just didn't expect this particular issue to come up this soon. I thought this was a phase young teens go through when they feel rebellious and disrespectful. Imagine my surprise then when my 2 year old saunters up to her father and says, "Hey Travis, wanna come play in my room?" Or, after she's been kissed goodnight and we've sneaked out of the room to hear her yelling "TRAVIS, TRAVIS, COME HERE!" We've had several conversations with her about the subject and they all go about the same way...

Bree: "Hey Travis!"
Me: "This is your daddy and you need to call him Daddy."
Bree: "Ok, Daddy, your name is Travis?"
Trav: "Yes, it is. But you need to call me Daddy okay?"
Bree: "Okay Daddy."

(Several minutes later...Bree has since wandered off and Travis and I have started having an actual adult conversation. But, then she comes back in the room...)

Bree: (interrupting as we're talking)"Daddy!"
Bree:(getting no immediate response) "Daddy!"
Bree: (ignored again) "TRAVIS!"

Well, it does get his attention!

No comments: