Thursday, August 10, 2006

Kissy Virus

Ok, so part of the time Bree and I were visiting the family in Idaho Travis was actually off at a conference for his work. (For those of you who might not know he's a microbiologist.) Well, he was in Seattle for a Herpes virus workshop and while he was there he thoughtfully bought presents for Brianna and me. I got a nice necklace and Bree got a Seattle Beanie Baby bear and also a stuffed "kissy virus." The "kissy virus" is actually supposed to be a plush represenation of the virus Mono, you know, also known as the kissing disease since it's spread a lot that way. The stuffed "kissy virus" is basically just a little round purple ball thing that's pretty cute but I find the whole idea a little disturbing. (But, kinda cute and thoughtful since it's including her in his work and interests.) I mentioned that it was kind of unsettling to Travis and then he tells me that they also had stuffed toys representing Syphilus (a spiral thingy), Giardia (a little buggy octopus thing since that disease is actually a parasite), and even Ebola, (looks like a worm)! (You really should check out the web site and see for yourself, it's hysterical, disquieting, and more than a little unbelievable... www.giantmicrobes.com. I mean, am I the only one who finds a sort of sick humor in the fact that some of these, like Ebola, are horrible diseases that people would probably literally cut off an arm or leg just to avoid getting in their lifetime can now be purchased in a plush version and given as a gift!) Well, just goes to show you what life can be like living with a science nerd. He'll bring your daughter home a stuffed animal virus microbe thing as a gift. Bree actually loves it though since Travis makes it kiss her all the time. She requests to keep it in bed with her at night. (Just imagine, somewhere in the world there might be a kid getting tucked in with and snuggling up to a fuzzy verson of Polio! Yes, they really sell that one too!) At least he had the good taste not to buy her Gonorrhea or Flesh Eating Disease, which were also options!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, at this point I really have to thank my husband for putting up with me teasing him mercilessly and letting me exaggerate his little habits for the sake of a funny story. You know I love you Trav, despite all your incredibly annoying faults! :P Beth