Saturday, August 12, 2006

Choices

Sometimes when Bree is having trouble following directions I give her two choices and then let her choose which she would like. This helps for two reasons, 1) she feels like she gets to have some input in what happens in her life and 2) it lets her know those are the ONLY options she gets. For example, whenever we cross the street Brianna gets to choose between holding someone's hand or getting picked up and carried across the street. (She's not really a hand-holder so she usually chooses to be carried. And, when I first implemented this she tried to make walking across all by herself a third choice. Of course, that didn't fly.)

This strategy really does seem to work for us. If things start to get rough I list the two options for that situation and say "Those are your choices." Well, I guess I must say it alot because today it was pretty funny... I had prepared us an afternoon snack and casually asked "Do you want to eat this at the play table in your room or out on the balcony?" Much to my surprise instead of answering Bree told me very solemnly, "These are the choices."

No comments: