Friday, June 16, 2006

My Baby is 2!

Well, as if I haven’t been verbose enough about Brianna’s childhood so far, writing down pretty much every little thing, I’ve also written her a birthday letter for each of her two birthdays. In the letter I just try to write down where she’s at developmentally and where I’m at emotionally in our journey together. Maybe someday when she’s, I dunno, 35 or something, she’ll actually want to sit down and read them and maybe think it’s pretty cool, (or maybe not!). So, since today is Brianna’s birthday, instead of my usual cute and quirky Bree anecdotes I thought I’d share this year’s birthday letter: (Am I the only one who can’t believe she’s two?!)

Dear Brianna,
Wow! Here it is your 2nd birthday already. I thought the first year went by fast but this second one has gone by even faster it seems. You have changed so much since your last birthday! You are walking so much more gracefully and purposefully, not to mention running, jumping, and climbing all over.

And your verbal skills have just exploded. You can say so many words I can’t even count them all. You are even starting to talk in complete sentences and are always managing to surprise us with the funny little things you say and do. You seem to be saying something new every day and we have to be careful what you hear us say since you understand so much!

Since you’re a toddler now you are going through the typical toddler phases: tantrums, struggles with sharing, getting into everything, potty training, etc. But, despite these symptoms of “Terrible Two-ness” you are still a joy to me on a daily basis. In the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, in between household chores and running errands I try to make myself slow down and really appreciate you in the small moments of life—like when you bend down to marvel at an ant on the sidewalk or your pure joy at blowing bubbles out on our balcony. I know it will be soon enough that ants won’t hold any interest for you and blowing bubbles won’t be the highlight of your day. It’s these moments I try to hold in my heart each day.

As I’ve watched you grow this past year I see what a bright, vivacious, fearless, and outgoing personality you have. Even thought you are only 2 right now I still look at you and pray that your daddy and I can make the right decisions that will guide you and help you grow into a polite, wonderful, self-assured, and strong woman without crushing that fire and spirit you have.

I feel blessed to have watched you grow, blossom, and interact with your world this year and I can’t wait to see what’s next in your big adventure of life…I love you so much! Happy Birthday baby!

All my love,
Mom

No comments: