Monday, June 19, 2006

Bossy Britches

I guess since Bree is now two, she figures she pretty much knows better than me these days. Here’s a sample of one of our usual conversations: (This one happened while I was on the phone with my mom while I was multitasking between the call and getting ready to run an errand and she was quite amused on her end since she wasn’t dealing with it…Thanks a lot Mom!)

Me: “Brianna, we need to run to the store, let’s get your shoes on.”
Bree: “Mom, finger painting!”
Me: “No, we’re not going to finger paint right now, we have errands to run sweetie.”
Bree: “Finger painting,” (gets the finger painting paper out and points) “See Mom? Finger painting.”
Me: “No baby, we’ll finger paint later, we need to go to the store and pick up some things, you want to come?”
Bree: “Okay! Shoes on? Shoes on Mom, shoes!”
Me: “Yes we do need to put our shoes on, that’s right.”
Bree: (Dragging my pink flip-flops to me) “Pink ones Mom, pink ones!”
Me: “No sweetie, I don’t want to wear the pink ones, they don’t match, I’m wearing the brown ones today.”
Bree: “Mom, pink ones! Pink ones Mom!”
Me: “No, see, I’m already wearing brown ones.”
Bree: “Okay, green ones Mom?”
Me: “All right let’s find your shoes, where are your shoes at?” (Strategic redirection of topic.)
Bree: “Socks on, socks Mom!”
Me: “You want to wear socks with your sandals? Okay let’s get some socks first then.”
Bree: “Pink ones Mom!”
Me: “Okay then, pink ones. Can you sit down and we’ll put them on?”
Bree: “Okay.” (sits down and lets me put her socks on) “Mom, shoes on! White ones!”
Me: “All right then. Okay your shoes are on.”
Bree: “Mom, socks on Mom?”
Me: “No baby, I don’t want to wear socks, I need my toes out to wear these shoes.”
Bree: “Mom, socks, socks on!” (goes and gets some of her dad’s socks out of his drawer)
Bree: “Mom, socks see? Wear em?”
Me: “No, I told you baby, I don’t want to wear socks.”
Bree: (pushing the socks onto my toes) “Socks Mom, wear em, socks!”
Me: “Brianna, I don’t need any socks and besides those are Daddy’s socks and they don’t fit, let’s just go bye bye!”
Bree: “Okay mom! Mom, lights off! Lights off Mom!”
Me: “Yes, I know, I am turning the lights off. Thanks for reminding me.”
Bree: “Mom, lights off!”
Me: “Yes thank you, I am.”
Bree: "There you go Mom. Good Job."
Bree: “Mom, mom, diaper bag mom. Where is it?”
Me: “Yes, I didn’t forget it, I’m getting it.”

And, finally, I wrapped up my phone call with my mom and we were out the door. This was actually only about 5 minutes of our day but overall I’d say I have the patience of a saint, wouldn’t you? :P

No comments: