Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Is That Mine?

Bree has now passed into that delightful toddler phase where she's into what's hers. She's been going around lately asking "Is that mine? Is that my food? Is that my chair? My bear!" and so on. The other day at Shannon and Nayan's house she saw that Nayan's little sister, Amani, had a sippy cup that looked just like hers at home. She said "Is that mine? Is that my cup?" She kept asking it over and over despite the fact that both Shannnon and I had reassured her it wasn't her cup and that hers was safe and sound at home. The issue of "mine!" has been a pretty big one between Bree and Kadyn also. Although they do seem genuinely fond of each other whenever we play at one of our houses, the one whose room is being shared is inevitably pulling toys out of the other's hands, shouting "Mine!" and bursting into tears. Of course, the other half the time they spend hugging and kissing so it's kind of a love/hate relationship at this point. I think I'm considering buying Bree one of those "Rules of Toddlerhood" T-shirts, just so everyone knows the deal upfront. You know the shirts that say: "If it's mine, it's mine. If it's yours, it's mine. If I've ever touched it, it's mine....

No comments: