Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Oh Savannah

We have a little neighbor girl, Savannah, who lives right next door and just turned 13 I think. Brianna adores her because she's a big girl for one thing, but also because Savannah is really nice to her and lets Bree use her "leadership skills" on her. (Ok, she let's Bree boss her around!) Yesterday afternoon Savannah showed up at our door and asked if she could take Brianna down to the apartment play area to go down the slides. I was busy making dinner so I told them to go ahead without me. Brianna hesitated for only 1 second and then happily waved goodbye to me and let Savannah lead her off down the hall. They came back about a half hour later, happy as clams and then Bree showed Savannah Pancake the turtle and they played together some more. It's kind of a funny little friendship. Well, today at around 3 pm Brianna started asking for Savannah. She was standing at the front door crying and saying "Bee-ranna," (which is what she calls Savannah even though it sounds more like her own name). We went next door and knocked but they weren't home. This made Bree very upset and started a crying tantrum that lasted some time. Finally, I took her outside to distract her. She insisted on bringing Teddy Bear (her white bear) down with us. When we got down there she wanted to be in charge and was pointing, saying "That way Mommy, that way." She was getting quite upset with me if I tried to walk a different direction than she wanted. So, I let her be in charge for a while to sooth her nerves. Soon she calmed down and was giving a narrative of our walk to Teddy Bear. "Teddy Bear, water, see water? Teddy, geese, see geese?" And so on. We reached a picnic table and stopped for a while. Brianna entertained herself by making a pile of pine cones on the bench and then we came back inside. I can only say, I hope Savannah has time to play with Bree tomorrow after school...I dread to think otherwise.

No comments: