Thursday, December 14, 2006

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

As I've already mentioned, Bree is super excited about Christmas this year. It's the first year she's really been aware of all the hype and excitement that kids feel around this time of year. And now this has extended to Santa as well. I haven't been too sure how I wanted to handle the whole Santa issue. I didn't really grow up believing in Santa. I mean, I knew who he was and the idea of him and thought it was fun, but I didn't BELIEVE in him so much that I felt crushed in second grade when I found out he wasn't really real. And, I don't want Bree to be so wrapped up in the Santa myth that her whole world crashes around her when she finds out it's just a story as well. I just don't want her to feel like her parents lied to her. But, I don't want to be a Scrooge either so I've kind of avoided the topic while I've thought of how to handle it. Of course, Brianna is a pretty smart cookie so through her friend Savannah and a few Christmas themed cartoons she's watched she's figured out the whole concept. Today out of the blue she looks over at me and says, "Mom, Santa is too far away! He's up there in the sky and he's coming, but not now." Well, I couldn't argue with that....maybe we'll fine tune the details next year.

No comments: