Thursday, December 21, 2006

Pirate Music

Brianna's favorite CD lately is the soundtrack to "Muppets Treasure Island." I think she likes it because it's got lots of silly voices (the muppets singing) and most the songs are upbeat. Or, it could be she thinks it's neat since her daddy bought her that pirate kit awhile back and now she's into pirates? Either way, there's no debate that it's on the top of her list right now for fun music, she calls it her "Pirate Music." At first I just thought it was kinda quirky and didn't think much more of it. But then I was actually listening to the words and some of them are kinda disturbing for a 2 year old to be singing along to. At one point the lyrics say, "people die by falling overboard!" in a really enthusiastic tone. And in another song it goes, "on occassion there might be someone that you have to execute but when you're a professional pirate you don't have to wear a suit...." I mean, it's fun and rhymy but come on...maybe not the most uplifting of choices. But, I'm going with the flow for two reasons, one being that my theory is the more I object to it, the more she'll decide she really likes it, and two, I really don't think she's picking up on those parts.

Although, there's no doubt that she's picking up on some of it. She actually knows some of the words..which reminds me of a funny little incident that happened on our visit to Idaho. Since I think that's it's pretty funny that THAT's her favorite CD, (largely because every time she hears it she starts boogy-ing down like a maniac, or like a kangaroo on crack..bounce, bounce, bounce), I brought it with us on our trip to show the grandparents. After a few minutes of dancing Bree started to poop out and wandered over to her "Grape-Grammy." "Grape-Grammy" said, "How's that song go?" and Bree immediately answered her, "Shiver my timbers..yo ho ee oh!" It made us all laugh but made me really hope that one day she's not suddenly gonna burst into that song in public and remember the part about "people die by falling overboard!" I'm thinking that would earn me a few disapproving stares.

No comments: