Saturday, December 30, 2006

Going to Work with Daddy

Due to my lack of energy lately, Bree has a bad case of cabin fever. We haven't gotten out that much and she really hasn't got to see many of her little friends to socialize with recently. So, today I really wanted to make sure she got out of the apartment to do something fun. I mentioned this to Travis and his big idea was to take her into work with him, since he needed to go in for awhile today anyways.

Now, I think I've mentioned this before but Trav is a microbiologist with an emphasis in virology. Translation=he studies viruses and spends his day peering through microscopes and mixing stuff in beakers and test tubes. I also think I've mentioned before that I personally, HATE going to the lab, especially when Trav's talked me into bringing Bree along. This is because there's really nothing interesting to watch Travis do while he works, at least in my opinion. Like I said, he looks into stuff and then mixes other stuff and then looks at stuff again. Meanwhile I'm left trying to keep my toddler from touching something she might infect herself with, breaking any of the many glass items in there, getting exposed to radiation, etc. And no, I'm really not exaggerating. Anyways, so needless to say when Trav mentioned this as his idea of a fun activity for Brianna, I was pretty skeptical. But, then he said that he planned on taking her in himself and that I didn't have to go. So I gave him my blessing, asked him to keep our kid safe, and sent them on their way.

It was really funny actually because as soon as Bree woke up from her nap her daddy asks her, "Hey, you want to come to work with me?" She immediately got all excited and said, "Sure!" I think she was especially psyched since she's been going through a phase lately where she doesn't want Daddy to go to work at all and gets upset when he leaves. But, this time, she was getting to go with him. So, she hurried to find her socks and shoes and then grabbed up her "laptop" (a little fake-y kid "computer" we got her for Christmas) and stood by the door, ready to go. "Dad, let's go to work!" she said. A few minutes later they were off. Bree looked back at me and said, "We're going to work Mom! See you later!"

While they were gone, I tried to take advantage of the quiet and get a few things done, but I was pretty amused the whole time, thinking of my two workers, working away. After they'd been gone about an hour and a half I got a phone call, Travis checking in. "How's it going?" I asked him, "Is she helping or just getting in your way?" "Oh, a little of both," he answered. Then I heard some toddler babble in the background and Trav says, "HEY! Don't touch that!" "Gotta go!" he told me. This conversation only heightened my amusement as I pictured the scene.

Finally, after being gone around 3 hours they came back home. Travis assured me they'd avoided getting infected with any viruses, and, they both seemed pretty happy so it must have gone fairly well, although I think it took Trav twice as long then usual to get his work done. As for Brianna, she walked in the door with a smile on her face, "Mom, I went to work!" she told me. "I did tips and stirred ice!" Then she laid down on the floor, "I'm tired!"

Who knows, maybe that was the start of a long and illustrious science nerd career for Brianna...

1 comment:

Robyzd said...

Ciao da Roberto