Monday, October 16, 2006

Poor Baby

I felt so sorry for my poor little baby today. She had to wake up to find her Grammy Deb gone this morning. (Deb had an early flight out). Of course, we didn't want to spring it on her so we told Brianna last night, as the three of us tucked her in, that Grammy Deb wouldn't be there in the morning. Still, she woke up today and asked for her. "She's not here baby, she left," I told her. "Why'd she go to Idaho?" Bree asked with a frown on her little face. So, I had to explain to her that Grammy missed Poppa Roger and so forth.

And, on top of no Grammy to play with today Brianna has a terrible cold! She's been sniffling and coughing and has a sore throat. She's wandered around the house today talking with a deep man voice (well okay, maybe more like a 12 year old boy whose voice is breaking). Poor baby! More than once she told me today "Mom, I'm not feelin' too good." It's the first time she's been old enough to tell me when she's sick and feeling yucky but it just breaks my heart since there's not much I can do to make her feel better. So, since we'd had a busy weekend with Grammy and needed a slow day anyways we just spent all day in our PJ's, hanging out. And, despite her being sick I think we managed to have a pretty good day...

We built a "fort" with a couple chairs and a blanket and spent some time in there. We colored in the fort, had pretend tea, and used a flashlight like a spotlight on the bottom of the blanket. After the novelty of the fort wore off Brianna had a brief spurt of energy and spent a half hour or so in her Buzz costume, jumping off one of her little chairs onto the floor. I wasn't too thrilled with this activity and every time she climbed up there I was saying "Hey, be careful please!" Well, apparently I forgot to say it one time because Brianna climbed up on the seat of her chair and was just standing there, staring at me. "Mom, say those words!" she demanded. I really had no idea what she was talking about "To infinity and beyond?" I guessed. "No! Mom, say the words!" "Um...ready set go?" I guessed again. "No Mom! Be careful. Say those words!" she told me. "Okay, be careful Brianna." And, with that she jumped off. :) Pretty soon though her little energy burst wore off and we did a slower-paced activity, making paper plate halloween masks. I made mine into a jack-o-lantern mask. Bree scribbled all over her plate and I cut eyes and a smiley face into it. I put my mask on first and Brianna said "Put mine on too Pumpkin!" It made me smile and kind of surprised me until I realized...I literally looked like a pumpkin.

Overall, I'd say it was a pretty nice day for my little sickie and me.

No comments: