Friday, October 13, 2006

Fortune Telling, Hearts, and a Strict Naptime

We spent a quiet afternoon with Grammy today...

Brianna woke up from her nap calling for Grammy Deb again. Once Grammy went in and got her up the first thing Bree spotted was the fortune cookies, still sitting on the table from the Thai food lunch we had eaten. She loves fortune cookies and tore into one with much enthusiasm. When she found the paper fortune inside I held my hand out and asked her if I could read it to her. I always "read" her fortunes for her by making up something nice about her like, "It says Brianna is such a nice girl." (My mom used to do this to me as well. In fact, all the way up to third grade, even after I could read for myself, I was still convinced that fortune cookies were so magical because Mom would read it to me every time and it would mention me by name!)Anyways, so I held out my hand and asked to read the fortune for Brianna (and the trick is passed on). But, to my surprise she told me no and quickly held up the paper and "read" it herself. She said "Grandma, you need something. 'Ranna." We all laughed at that. Even though it didn't make much sense, it was pretty funny for her to just make something up like that! Hmm...maybe she's onto me!

After finishing up her cookie Bree started asking for "herts." For the life of us, none of us adults could figure out what that was. "Hats?" we asked, "hot?" "No!" she said. She was getting quite frustrated. "Herts," she kept saying, "herts," she said again, patting her chest. "Oh... hearts?" Grammy Deb finally said. "Yes! Thank you!" Bree declared, (much to our amusement). Well, we'd made some progress. But still, we didn't know what "hearts" she was talking about. She kept pointing to the table but there were no hearts there. After a while she let it go. But, about a half an hour she was back on it again, wandering around and asking for "herts." Finally, she took her grammy's hand and said "Let's look in your suitcase." Then, it dawned on us! Grammy Deb had brought Bree some little hair barrets in a variety pack. And, sure enough some of them were shaped like little hearts, even though none of us had noticed it. So, after finally getting us to get the rest of her new hair clips out Bree was occupied for quite some time counting them, putting them all in a cup and dumping it back out again, etc.

When Brianna tired of her barretts she moved on to an even more fun game...bossing the adults around. It just so happened that Grammy Deb and I had been sitting on the little couch in Bree's room, watching her play. Suddenly Bree dragged one of her little chairs over to the light switch and turned off the overhead light. "Naptime," she declared, "Go to sleep!" Obediently, Deb and I pretended to be sleeping. A few seconds later Bree had switched the light back on saying, "Wake up!" After a few cycles of this routine Deb and I started resuming the conversation we'd been having before the whole pseudo naptime event. At one point when the lights went off I laid my head on the couch, but just kept talking. This was, apparently, against the rules. Bree flipped the light on immediately, looked at me sternly and said, "Go to sleep Mommy!" Not wanting Travis to miss out on this fun I said "Well, what about Daddy, doesn't he need a nap too?" Sure enough he did. Brianna ran off and came in dragging him by the hand and seated him on the couch with the rest the adults in the house. The lights on, lights off naptime game resumed. Sure enough, I got bored and started whispering... I got in trouble. "Mommy's talking!" Bree said, "Be quiet!" Then Travis decided to take advantage of having the tables turned and asked for a blankie, a stuffed animal, a nite light...he was a most difficult napper. After that Bree kind of lost steam on the issue.

Yep, just a quiet afternoon at home with Grammy. I think she was pretty entertained though.

No comments: