Monday, July 09, 2007

When I was a Born Baby

With my due date only 2 weeks away now, we had our hospital tour the other day to familiarize us with the hospital layout, the labor and delivery rooms, etc. We took Brianna with us so that when she comes to visit me in the hospital she'll have seen it all before and won't feel too threatened and so on. Actually she was pretty cute about it. She took a look around the L & D room, pointed to the bed and then said, "Mom, is that where you're gonna lay?" (Don't ask me HOW she knew that!) We also saw some new babies who were crying whereupon Brianna was promptly asking "Why is that baby whining?" (We're working on NOT whining and bursting into immediate tears with Bree at this particular stage but asking things in a normal voice instead.) Then at the end of our tour Bree pulled on my pantleg and said, "Mom, I have to tell you something." So, I leaned down and she whispered in my ear, "I'm gonna teach my baby brother how to run, and jump, and play..." and the list went on. It was about the cutest thing ever!


So, naturally with the arrival of baby brother looming imminent on the horizon for us, besides our tour there's been a lot of talk around here about babies...how they cry a lot and how they don't eat people food yet and etc. We'll say, "Newborn babies..." and then start off with some explanation regarding newborn babies. Brianna seems to take it all pretty well so far. Although, I think she's already starting to feel a little left out with all the newborn talk. So, to get herself back into the discussion her newest phrase is "When I was a born baby..." and then she'll launch off into some story about what she did when she was a "born baby." Apparently she had quite the adventures in her first few months including having hummingbirds land on her, walking, talking, etc. Some amazing things for a newborn to do really. The other thing she's quite sure of is that she used bottles when she was a "born baby." In reality, she never used even a one, she hated the things and refused to take milk from an artificial nipple. We tried to tell her that she didn't like them but to no avail, she remembers it better than me apparently.... :)

No comments: