Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Miss Sassy-Ass

Travis and I have really tried to watch ourselves and not curse or otherwise use any type of language we don’t want Bree repeating. And in general we’ve been pretty successful. I count it as a win that she doesn’t know any major curse words at this point. Of course, it’s hard sometimes to watch those kinds of words that aren’t technically swearing but you don’t necessarily want your 2 yr. old repeating. Like, for example, the phrase, “What the heck?” It’s not a horrible one really but to me, it just doesn’t sound right flying out of my toddler’s mouth. (Too late though, it’s a phrase she knows already.)

And the other night she picked up another little verbal jewel from me. It’s another phrase that really isn’t bad but, again, not exactly charming coming from my toddler, in my opinion. It happened when I got frustrated with Travis. I’d called him to dinner several times (he was only about 20 feet away) and gotten no response from him whatsoever. So, getting aggravated I said, “Travis, get off your butt and get over here!” Of course, little miss sharp ears heard that and so for the rest of the evening whenever her daddy was sitting down and she wanted him to play or otherwise do something on her agenda she would say, “Daddy, get off your butt!” Lucky for me, (since he knows exactly where she got that), he was laughing every time. He is tired after work though so finally he came back with, “I’m not even on my butt. I’m on my back!” (He was laying on the couch.) This didn’t slow Bree down at all though and she quickly fired off, “Dad, get off your back!”

No comments: