Sunday, February 11, 2007

I Kissed George

So, in case I haven't had long phone conversation with you about it (which I have with many of my friends and family) going into great detail and talking about it at length, then it will be news to you that we've been working on potty training with Bree. It sort of takes over your whole life...cleaning up the potty, talking to your child about going potty, sitting in the floor of the bathroom for long periods of time while you try to get your kid to sit there long enough to make a #2 in the potty. You get the picture. And, in general I've tried NOT to blog about it to spare you all from the gory and sometimes disgusting details. But, this one was just too good not to tell...

We've actually been working on the potty training thing for quite awhile now. I'm convinced we'd be farther along and making more progress if I myself were more dedicated to the cause. It's just that some days I haven't really wanted to spend most of my day sitting on the bathroom floor (and it's getting uncomfortable being pregnant actually) and I really haven't wanted to go with the just put 'em in the panties route since I don't want to deal with the messes that leaves everywhere. But, with baby #2's arrival inching closer all the time I've gotten more serious about getting this potty training thing down. So, I've spent a lot more time in my bathroom and went ahead and put the panties on the other day. (I tried pull-ups and those thick cloth training ones too. Bree treats them all like diapers..doesn't hesitate to go both kinds of potty in there...ew!) I thought, well maybe the panties are thin enough that if she does have an accident she'll notice for sure and not like the sensation. We started out putting on some pale blue panties with butterflies on them. "Okay please don't go potty in your panties," I said, "These are big girl panties so if you need to go potty come tell Mommy and we'll go in your potty chair." "Okay Mom," Bree said and skipped off into her room to play. About 10 minutes later she walked past me sans panties. "Why are your buns hanging out?" I asked, "Where are your panties?" "They're wet!" she informed me. Apparently she had already peed through them...I found them in a little wet pile in the corner of her room. Well, she sure enough didn't like wearing wet panties so I thought we'd try again and now she'd try NOT to pee through them. This time I pulled out a pair of Curious George panties, one of her favorite characters lately. "Now see Curious George on these panties?" I pointed. "We don't want to get George wet or messy. It would make him sad if you go potty on him. If you need to go, we'll go sit on your chair okay?" "Okay Mom," Bree said again. Well, 10 minutes later here comes my little girl with a bare bottom again. She came running up to me, "Mom, I kissed George so he wouldn't be sad." she informed me. "What?!" I said. It took me a minute to realize she had already peed through her George underwears and must have kissed them after she peeled them off so George wouldn't feel sad he was wet. After shuddering and going "Ew" I had to laugh.

No comments: