Friday, November 30, 2007

Briefs on Bree

Bedtime Angel
It's true, the toddler/preschool age kid can be a handful and wear you down. But then, they also have their moments of pure sweetness as well. For us this moment has been bedtime. Maybe due to the time change, and therefore dark now falling much sooner, Bree has been a pure angel at bedtime. In fact, lately she'll even go into the bathroom and call out, "Mom! Dad! I'm ready to brush my teeth and feed Reddy (the fish) and put on my PJ's and go to bed!" How weird is that? My 3 yr old is virtually putting herself to bed! I'm sure this won't be a phase that lasts so I better enjoy it now huh?


Sometimes

Bree:
"Mom I know you like me every day!"
Me: "That's right I do."
Bree: "Mom I like you every day sometimes."
Me: "You do?"
Bree: "Yeah sometimes."

I guess the truth hurts huh?:) At least it's good that she knows I like her everyday no matter what and I suppose also good that she can be truthful and admit that there are some days when I'm not her favorite person. Oh well, such is the role of a true Mom, I'm resigned to the fact that a good Mom is not always their kids' best friend. Besides, tomorrow I'll be back to being her supermom so it's okay.

The Kid
We sometimes call our kids by little nicknames or pet names. With Brianna, it was "the Bean." (You know because at the first ultrasound we thought she looked like a tiny little bean in there.) And so you can overhear us on occasion say things like, "What's the Bean up to?" and so forth. Noah has several nicknames at the moment. I often call him Bubba, because he's a hefty boy. But Trav's nickname of choice is "Noah the kid" or just "the kid." Naturally, like she does, Bree has picked this right up and now she says things to me like, "Hey Mom, the kid's awake." or "The kid's crying again."

Oops!
Three year olds are rather accident prone and clumsy for the most part because they don't really observe their environment before they start jumping around and acting crazy in it. The other day this was the case when Bree starting monkeying around in the living room and ended up knocking over a nearby glass of water off the coffee table. "Oops!" she said, "It's okay I'll clean it up!" Then she ran over and grabbed a kitchen towel, ran back and began vigorously rubbing at the water spot on the carpet. Well, she cleaned SO very vigorously that she managed to knock a cup of coffee off the table as well, right into the very same wet spot! She looked so surprised and distraught that it made Travis and I laugh, she was being so sweet about cleaning up her mess. I guess note to self though, stop leaving old beverages sitting around where my active preschooler can knock them over.

No comments: