Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Snerd

Since calling names is just mean, at our house we don't really call each other names, technically that is. But what we do instead is sort of make up weird things to say to each other in place of that.... A tradition started by my side of the family, amongst my siblings mostly. My sister has been known to call people a "spastic tweed" which means, of course that you are an odd person (hence the spastic)...with a finely knit weave? (So I don't know why the tweed part, because it's fun okay?))

Well, anyways, Trav caught onto that real fast once he came into the family and we have proudly carried on that questionable habit with our own kid. For example, we can occasionally be heard calling Bree a "snerd" which I think is sort of a combo of silly and nerd. Of course, we don't want to really call her a nerd or a dork, then she would repeat it and it's a negative stereotype and all that. (Much better that she learn a nonsense word that makes her look like she's nuts right? I dunno what the logic is exactly here.) Anyways, when she says something kind of obvious or says something silly then sometimes our response includes, "you Snerd!" at the end. Well, since Bree is a quick learner and repeats everything we say you can see where this is going....

Brianna is really into sharing everyone else's food these days. Even if you have the exact same thing on your plate as she does on hers she'll insist that hers is yucky and slide right next to you while asking, "Can I share?" Inevitably you end up sharing whether you want to or not. Well this was no different today. I made us Mac and Cheese for lunch. It wasn't more than 60 seconds before Bree was all over my bowl (and sharing food is really hard for a pregnant lady!) wanting to "share." What she really means most times though is to take over whatever you have. So, since I wasn't going to just give up my whole lunch I handed her her own spoon and we both ate out of the same bowl. She ate a few bites then she pointed, "This is my side!" she informed me, "That's your side." "Okay," I said. Well, 5 minutes later she ran over to the other side of me. "This is my side!" she now declared, "Stop stealing all my mac and cheese!" "Oh sorry!" I said and switched sides obligingly. Well, inevitably when you're eating mac and cheese you need a drink. So, of course, Bree was "sharing" my water as well. Seeing how her "sharing" usually ends up in her owning stuff, after she drained the last drop, I asked her, "Can I refill your water for you?" At this she looked at me and said condescendingly, "It's not MY water, it's YOUR water...Snerd!" She called me a snerd! And in the correct context too! She's never done that before but I should have seen it coming. It made me laugh anyways and had Travis (who had come home for lunch) literally rolling on the floor.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... What a cheeky little kid!

No comments: