Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A Funny Story from the Move

This little story actually happened about 2 weeks ago, during the main moving-in process but it was so hectic then I never got around to blogging it. I was thinking about this today though and it was making me smile so just thought I'd share...

We arrived in Montana on a Monday afternoon and all our belongings had actually beaten us here. (We used a moving company.) So, it was only a few hours after we arrived that we started in unpacking and getting settled. Lucky for us we had help though, Trav's parents were there for support the first few days along with my grandparents and my parents as well a few days later. Between all that help we managed to muscle through the major stuff pretty quickly and get all the basics functioning. (Thanks to everyone who helped out!)

Anyways, this was all too much for Brianna. Imagine how it looks from a toddler point of view....Mom and Dad spend weeks boxing everything up then we have to drive for days at a time and when we finally get to where we're going Mom and Dad start frantically taking things back out of the boxes they just finished doing a few days ago. I'm sure we all seemed nuts to her! Plus, I think the fact that her grandparents were here and not focusing their attention soley on Bree was the last straw. We had a few days after we arrived with a very cranky and demanding toddler. She would get an idea in her head and insist she needed this or that NOW. Like when she decided in the middle of the afternoon one day that she needed to brush her teeth. She was walking up and down the hall whining and telling everyone who passed by her insistently, "I need to brush my teeth! I need some toothpaste!" One by one each of us adults kind of blew her off. "Your toothbrush is in your hand baby, just use it like that." "You don't need to brush your teeth right now." "We don't know where the toothpaste is right now." All to no avail. Apparently it was just imperative she brush her teeth right that minute.

Finally after a good 15 minutes or so of whining she got Grammy Deb to pay attention to her. Grammy Deb took a minute to find the toothpaste and help Bree get going with her toothbrush at which point Brianna turned to her and said, "See, was that so hard?" A statement that made Grammy Deb laugh and was quickly reported to me a few minutes later. (I think this must have been something I've said to her before.) But she was right after all, in the long run it was NOT hard and would have been less effort and aggravation to all to just help the kid brush her teeth with toothpaste instead of ignoring her. I guess when you're moving you sometimes forget to pick your battles, but that's what Grammies are for. :)

No comments: