Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Where I Stand

Every day around here I get several offers to come play in Brianna's room. "Mom, would you like to come play in my room? It's really fun!" Sometimes I say yes and sometimes if I'm in the middle of something I have to say no. Well, the other day when I was walking past Bree's room I heard her say, "Would you like to come sit at my table?" Naturally, thinking she was talking to me I said, "Not right now baby I have to go change your brother's diaper. Maybe in a minute." This garnered me the quick response of, "Not YOU Mom! I was talking to Jim!" (Her little imaginary friend.) Oh! Well, you can imagine my embarrassment. :D

Then the other day all four of us were at the park when Bree jumped up from where we were sitting on the grass and said, "I'm ready to play! Daddy, will you come with me? You're my best friend!" And I'm thinking, well what does that make me?


Finally, the other day as we were crossing through a parking lot to get to the car Brianna tried to get away with not holding my hand. For me, this is a non-negotiable thing since it's a safety issue. So, I grabbed her hand and we walked to the car (read as I pretty much dragged her kicking and screaming bloody murder across the lot). Once we arrived at the car Bree stood there sobbing and yelled, "I don't want a Mommy!" I guess I could have let it hurt my feelings but I took a deep breath and reminded myself her safety is sometimes more important than her feelings and filed it away as a classic motherhood moment.

So overall, I guess I know where I stand...I'm the one who often has to play the heavy and do horrible things like, you know, say no sometimes or actually enforce rules. I guess that's why sometimes the imaginary friends get invited to play in Bree's room before I do. But the little tough moments are sure outweighed by those other moments when my little girl wraps her arms around me and tells me, "I love you Mom!" :)

No comments: