Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Tales out of School

Well, today was Bree's second week and 4th day in preschool and so far so good. She seems to like it and I've even gotten to use it as parenting fodder on those nights before "school," saying, "All right. Better go to sleep right away and get some good sleep now. Tomorrow's preschool and you don't want to be tired while you're there, so better rest." Surprisingly, this seems to work and cuts down on the number of times we see Bree popping back out of her room with some questionable excuse as to why she needs to come back out after she's been tucked in. (Usually something like, "I need a drink." "I have to go potty." Even though she just went. "Um, um, um.......um...... will you read me another book?" and so on.)

Yep, it's been pretty amusing to me to watch how little time it took her to jump right into the whole preschool thing and act like she's always gone. Today, when she got there, before her coat was even off she was waving to the other kids and a little boy waved back, then a little girl with long braids and glasses ran up and said, "Hi! You're here today! Want to play?" Then when I picked her up it was, "Mom, Paige wasn't there today but Clare was. Paige and Clare are my friends." As usual I asked her, "What did you talk about in school today?" And as usual I was told, "I don't know...stuff." (Must be a universal kid code to tell your parents that, even at 3 years old!) So we seemed to have slid right into a regular routine about it. And I do mean routine. For some reason preschool brings out Brianna's regimented side. So far, every day she requests to have the same hairdo as the first day, 2 pig tails in her hair (maybe because it keeps it out of her face?). I've found it kind of funny though because school has made her aware of some things she wasn't before regarding people's appearances. Like for instance, the fact that Paige wears glasses and Bree doesn't or as she told me, "I wear sunshades though." The biggest thing on Bree's mind in this regard however is hair. Unfortunately for her, she got my hair, which means, although she has a lot of it, it's rather fine and flyaway and slow-growing. Of course, that didn't bother her and she didn't know that...until school. She came home one day and said, "Other girls have pig tails too. Mom, mine are small! They're kind of short!" Poor kid, destined to have hair envy...

But back to the school routine, it's rather strict. She seems to want to have those days all go the same, not only how she does her hair, but right down to what she eats for lunch. Every day on the ride home she informs me "Mom, for lunch I want a turkey sandwich with cheese and mayonaise." (Which was the lunch I made for her that first day after school.)

Oh well, they say kids like to know what to expect and that doing the same things helps them have a sense of control over their life. And you know Bree, she does like to feel like she's in control... :)

(See, and here you thought I'd skip the Wednesday post again didn't you? But I gave myself a talking to.)

No comments: