Saturday, August 25, 2007

Mommy of Two Syndrome

Well, it's official..I'm a "Mommy of Two." If I didn't fully realize it before I'm starting to now...maybe it's the fact that I consider showering, or sleeping for that matter, a luxury. Or what clued me in could be that most days I'm just getting out of my PJ's at noon. (Between making breakfast for Bree, nursing Noah, getting both kids dressed, morning snack for Bree, diaper changes for both, nursing Noah again, etc...) With one, it was possible to sort of keep up the pretenses of having a clean house and other snobby things like, you know, combing your hair. These days even if I manage to get dressed by noon, I tend to get into sweats and a t-shirt, my new official Mommy uniform. (Perhaps partially due to the fact that I'm in the awkward "I'm not pregnant and not wearing maternity clothes but I don't quite fit into my pre-pregnancy skinny clothes" stage and therefore don't have a huge wardrobe to choose from.) The "mommy uniform" is usually accompanied by my un-made up face and also my hair pulled back into a pony-tail. (Unless I'm actually going to see other people, then I do get dressed and do my hair and such, I mean, a girls got her pride and all.) But you know, when it's just me and the kids at home, I find I'm doing what's easy and fast and comfortable.

Now, I suppose there are some women out there who are mothers of two or more and may manage to pull off the June Cleaver act and if so, hats off to you! And, I might get a little better at it as I get more adjusted to the routine of two youngin's. Until then though, I look forward with great longing to the day when I can once again take a shower that doesn't end with me hopping out hurriedly to the sound of frantic hungry baby screaming and/or finding myself in the company of a naked 3 yr. old who has decided to join me unannounced. Not that either of those situation doesn't also have their positives. Although a long shower all to myself sounds great, until that day arrives I try to savor those shower interruptions and take it all with a healthy sense of humor.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hey Beth. It's the middle of the night (2:43am)and I'm up browsing your blog, and wondering if these contractions are the real thing! Not due till 9/5 but the irony of reading your most recent post is obvious. Olivia will be 19 months old on the 2nd, and pretty soon I'll have "Mommy of Two Syndrome." Hopefully I'll get to see you at a meetup soon!

Karen