Friday, May 18, 2007

Trix are for Kids, and Other Mean Ads on TV

Television....it's always been sort of a little bit of a guilt trip for me. How much should I let Bree watch? What should I let her watch? Is she watching too much? Should I feel bad if I let it "babysit" her while I do a few chores around the house?

Well, now there's a whole new dimension to feel bad about: the ads. See, Brianna is now old enough that the ads are starting to sink in for her. So, if some cereal says it's yummy then she just buys it hook line and sinker and will run up to me to tell me that such and such a cereal is "grrrreat!" or whatever. Frankly I think this is just mean. Ads in kids' shows should be outlawed if you ask me. They know exactly what they're doing appealing to the kids who are young and naive enough to believe every word they say....and it sucks if you're the parent. Sure, as a kid I never really minded them but now getting the feedback about certain toys etc. I'm bothered by the whole thing. It's almost worse in the grocery store. Have you noticed how many food products have pictures of cartoons on them? And how you have to talk your kid out of some junk food crap for over 10 minutes all because it has a picture of your kid's favorite TV personality on there? Cereal, snacks, fruit drinks...AACK!

And, when a new kids' movie is coming out it's even worse. I think there were over 50 products in the store with Shrek on them. This last time at the grocery store I ended up buying "Shrek cereal" (Rice Krispies), "Spiderman Cereal" (Cheerios), and "Spiderman drinks" (Capri Sun, fruit flavored water packs). (Not real sure why Bree's into Spiderman. She's never really seen or read about him, other than the darn TV ADS!) Now, needless to say that I didn't let Bree talk me into buying anything that was too unhealthy or that I wouldn't buy normally but I was flabbergasted at just how often she tried to throw something into the cart soley based on the picture on the package. Geesh!

Of course, it probably doesn't help that we're taking her to a matinee of Shrek this weekend. She's excited about it coming out and we haven't taken her to a movie in the theater yet (that she can remember) so it should be fun. Yes, notice how I'll feel free to complain about the ills of society and all but then I'll still buy the damn stuff and therefore perpetuate the cycle. What can I say? I'm American, it's how we work..... :P

No comments: