Monday, May 07, 2007

A Girl Who Knows What She Wants

Bree has always had a very strong little personality. She knows exactly what she likes and doesn't like and isn't afraid to tell you about it. (A quality I hope she holds onto as she gets older!) So, it's not like the personality trait is new...it's just that I've found it pretty funny to watch as the older she gets the more able she is to express her little opinions.

I've been especially amused by the fact that she has a list of what she wants for her birthday. (Man, that birthday ticker is getting awfully close to the 3! I can't believe it, already!) I mean, its a totally normal thing, you ask someone what they want for they're birthday and they tell you. I guess I just didn't think that on the verge of turning 3 that Bree would actually have some thoughts on the issue. Every major gift-giving occasion so far Travis and I have just pretty much guessed what she might want or what would be fun and that's what she gets. But not this year! Even though her birthday is a few months away yet it's been a pretty big topic of conversation around here. I think for two reasons: 1) because we keep telling her that her birthday is in the summer and a little while after that her brother will be getting here, and 2) virtually every time we meet someone new in the neighborhood or around town they seem to ask "How old is she?" (Usually after hearing her talk for awhile.) Then Bree is very proud to answer, "I'm two and a half! But I'm gonna be three." Then lately she'll add, "In June!" (This last part she's just learned...that her birthday is in June and she likes to tell people. Of course it was kind of funny the other day when someone took it a step further than normal and asked Bree, "When in June?" At this she turned to me and said, "Mom?")

Anyways, every time it happens I find the whole conversation pretty amusing for some reason. And, what do you think follows up the June comment? Yep, she'll tell you what she'd like you to get her for her birthday. It doesn't matter if she just met you 5 minutes ago, she'll let you know. What, might you ask, is on a 3 year old's list? Well, naturally she wants a Sherriff Woody Doll to go with her Buzz Lightyear that she already has. And, after getting to play with one recently she's also added a Barbie Doll to that list. (But don't get any ideas family...her Mom and Dad plan to buy her those items from us. Yeah, we're taking all the easy ideas for gifts already. :P)

That's her entire list so far. I guess she's not too spoiled only asking for a few things. And, I have to say the balance is kind of funny you have to admit. While they're both dolls she wants one boy, coyboy doll and one prissy girl doll. Which, in my opinion, is a great combo to keep her a well balanced and independent minded little gal. :)

No comments: