Monday, February 11, 2008

Breeisms

A couple more words in "Briannese" and their English translations:
  • "chest"= chess "Let's play chest! I like that game."
  • "with about"= without "Mom, I can't eat this with about a fork!"
  • "am I" = aren't I Something she's been saying a lot lately, wanting Mom or Dad to validate her statements. (She likes getting proved right.) Like this, "I'm a big sister, Mom, am I." "Yes, that's right."

And, a few notable one liners and silly antics recently:
  • "Mom, people like me because I'm cute!" - Uh-oh, we're gonna have to talk about this one. I guess, since she's a reasonably attractive kid, she hears herself being referred to as cute a lot. And I don't have any problem with her thinking she's cute, but I for sure don't want her to think that's the only reason other people like her. (Because that could lead to "pretty girl" syndrome. You know the girls who skate by in life not really trying but thinking their looks will get them whatever they want.) So I'm going to have to be telling her that people also like her because she's nice, she's funny, she's smart...
  • "I love myself!" - All right, a kid with self esteem is wonderful. I'm okay with this one.
  • punch bad guys in the face - something Brianna has threatened to do, so any bad guys thinking of coming to our house, watch out! I bet she could take them on too, a mad 3 year old in full tantrum mode is a frightening thing to make even the baddest of bad guys quake in their boots!
  • "I'm a dancing fool huh Mom?" - said to me while dancing madly to a song. We have music playing in the background a lot at our house and she loves to dance to it. This particular phrase though, I think is something her daddy must have said to her, it sounds like a Travis thing to say.
  • "You're good at fixing things right Mom?" - I got asked casually the other day. To which I replied. "Yes I am. Why? Did you break something?" "Nnnoooo..." "Brianna! Did you break something? Because if you did you better tell me. It's no big deal if it was an accident and you tell me but I'll get mad if you don't tell me." "All right. I broke Noah's music thing in his crib." (His mobile.) I guess when you're 3 your sense of self preservation wins over your need to tell the truth every time. :)
  • jokes - I think I mentioned before that Bree is into telling "jokes" right now which are actually, at this point, just random questions with nonsensical answers that only she finds funny. But, I forgot to mention the most amusing part! Which is her source material. Nine times out of ten when she's telling these jokes she's carrying a small book opened in front of her. I bet you can't guess which one...it's her little tiny New Testament! Apparently, there's all kinds of funny stuff in there that I've missed somehow because that's her joke book.
Never a dull moment with that one. (Truly, not one and sometimes I long for a dull moment around here!)

No comments: