Saturday, August 02, 2008

Breeisms

Your regular update on Brianna amusements and silliness...

Okay so, I don't pretend that I'm going to win the "Mother of the Year" award anytime soon. I mean, I genuinely want to be a good mom but as I've said before and freely admit, I'm just not June Cleaver, or Mary Poppins either. I'm just not THAT mom, the one who hand sews all their children's clothing, makes every meal at home and makes sure there's something from every food group, never lets their kids watch TV, or, in this case, is patient and altruistic enough to be able to listen to kids' music all the time. Because, really, come on now, one can only take so much "Wheels on the Bus" or "Mary had a Little Lamb" without starting to feel psychotic after awhile. (Or is it just me?) So, Bree has been exposed to some "secular" music when it's Mommy's turn to listen to tunes. (Which, as previously mentioned here, can be embarrassing when your small child suddenly starts singing something like "Hey hey you you I don't like your girlfriend..." at inopportune places.) Now that she's a grown up 4 year old though, Bree is starting to have a definite opinion about which songs she enjoys and when Mom tries to turn on a song she likes, say while driving, you can be pretty sure a small voice will pipe in, "MOM, not THIS song. I HATE this song!" Actually, Brianna hates any song not sung by a girl. Maybe she finds it easier to sing along to those, or her fairly feminist mother has already passed on a dose of girl power attitude, but she's always going, "Mom, put on a guhl song!"

Brianna gets along famously with her grandmas and actually has taken on quite a few of their respective habits, including some of the things they say frequently. One of those that I find amusing lately is that Bree will go, "Oh my!" something my mom says quite often. So, there was Brianna, watching some Looney Tunes the other day. It was this episode where Bugs Bunny was trying to have a picnic. Alas, Yosemite Sam was causing trouble and let loose an army of picnic ants who started making off with all the food. Of course, as always, Bugs was on to this and quickly grabbed a watermelon, cut a hole in it, and shoved a stick of dynamite inside. (I mean, I know I always keep a stick of dynamite handy, don't you?) And then, the ants went marching back to Yosemite Sam, dynamite watermelon and all and...you guessed it, there was a big bang and Yosemite Sam staggered around all charred and blackened. Classic Looney Tunes and the stuff that kids have been laughing at for years. So, Bree was watching all this and what was her reaction? She just did a long blink and said, "Oh my!"

They say truth is stranger than fiction but sometimes it's also funnier than cartoons too. While Brianna may not find Yosemite Sam getting blown up funny, real life can sure crack her up. Take the idea of what kind of animals lay eggs, and which don't. While talking on the phone to her grandma Bree started telling a silly story about her new kittens laying eggs and having babies. Grandma responded by saying, "But kitten's don't lay eggs, chickens do." Well, this made Bree start laughing hysterically and say, "Chickens don't lay eggs! You're joking me!" Hmm...can you blame me for not addressing forms of animal procreation already?

Bree has always had a great sense of self confidence. Being outgoing has never been a problem for her. In fact, just last week when meeting some new people for the very first time Bree demonstrated this. We went over to have dinner with a guy Trav works with and his whole family. Travis introduced us all. "And this is Brianna," he said. And she jumped in and said, "I'm a genius!"

As usual, it makes me laugh to hear Bree talk like an adult sometimes and use big words, just sound comical coming from such a small person. But, I still think that some of the funniest stuff about kids is things they say wrong. So, I leave you with some more translations of "Briannese"

Willy Wonka = Billy Yonka

Kids' Happy Meal = Happy Kids Meal

chop sticks = pork chops

No comments: