Thursday, March 01, 2007

Potty Huh-prises

As I’ve mentioned before, we’re at the potty training phase in our house and have actually met with some success. (Hooray!) I’m not sure if Bree just decided that she was ready what but she’s just suddenly made big strides in the potty department. (I haven’t changed a stinky diaper in about 2 weeks. Although, wet ones are another story.) Perhaps part of her new motivation has been our “reward” system. If she goes then we give her a “potty surprise” which is some sort of little inexpensive toy or trinket that I’ve found in the $ store. Bree calls them potty “huh-prises,” which is her version of surprise. But, she’s been doing SO well that I’ve had a hard time keeping up with the bribes, uh, I mean potty going incentives. It seems I need to refurbish the supply every few days and it also seems I’ve spent a lot of money on trinkets. So, I had this great idea. Awhile back, in the process of the getting-ready-to-move cleaning and organizing I thinned out Bree’s toys. I ended up taking out a lot of little things that she never touches that were cluttering up the place. I had shoved them away thinking I might be able to use them for just this kind of thing. Well, this last time I ran low on potty surprises I supplemented with a few of these items I’d stashed away. It had been almost a whole month since I’d put them away and I was sure she wouldn’t recognize them. WRONG! She took one look inside the surprise bin and started pointed those exact toys out. “That’s not a potty huh-prise. THAT’S not a potty huh-prise…” Man! Busted! I can’t get away with anything with that kid!

No comments: